Making your birth experience the best it can be

Pregnancy navigators, doulas, midwives, doctors and other members of the Sanford Health care team make new family feel special.

the Wieber family

If there is one thing that is for sure nigh labor is that it is unpredictable. And for a first fourth dimension mom-to-be, that feeling of the unknown can be a little scary. To aid calm Emily Wieber's fears, she met with a birth designer from Sanford Health.

"I know that not everything e'er goes according to plan, but I had an idea of how I wanted my feel to be," Wieber says. "Having a pregnancy navigator was an astonishing experience. They gave us so much data and helped lay out the perfect experience for my family and me. Even though my labor went a little quicker than expected and I didn't get to practise everything I had wanted, it nonetheless made me feel ready for the twenty-four hour period."

Doula helped with delivery

The pregnancy navigator wasn't the only person Wieber met with to help her prepare for her big day. She also attended numerous classes offered by Sanford Wellness and decided to use 1 of Sanford'southward doulas who would exist by her side during the birth.

A doula is a not-medical birth coach in that location to assist a woman before, during and after childbirth, providing emotional support and encouragement. Women giving birth at Sanford Health receive care from an OB physician and the support of a certified nurse midwife during their hospital stay.

"My hubby and I don't know how we could have gone through such fast, hard labor without her," Wieber says. "Hannah, our doula, was so very patient, kind, and understanding. She even took photos of united states of america in our first moments every bit a family unit of three to assistance us document the day! It was and then nifty to have her there to remind us of different birthing positions and breathing techniques I could utilize to help with my intense and frequent contractions."

'In good hands'

While Wieber had a fairly uneventful pregnancy, things changed, though, when she had to be induced when she had gestational hypertension at the end of her pregnancy. What could have been a scary situation was eased thanks to her care squad.

"The doctors and nurses were keen at explaining what to look and reassured my hubby and me that we would be in expert easily," Wieber says. "It was so practiced to know that the unabridged team at Sanford'southward birth heart was close at hand in instance we needed them."

'Made us feel special'

When Emily arrived for her consecration, things moved apace. After 6 to vii hours of hard labor, the Wiebers welcomed a healthy baby boy named Baronial.

"Information technology was difficult merely and so worth it," Wieber says. "It is a life-changing feel having a infant. I can't explicate how much beloved I felt for our little family unit during those first moments after August was born."

While at the new birthing floor at the Sanford Medical Center Fargo, Wieber too took advantage of the massage therapist, having a photographer take her newborn's first photos and what turned out to be a brief fourth dimension in the spa tub.

"I wish I could have been in there longer," she says. "But my labor went too fast for me to enjoy it."

August is growing and doing great, and then are mom and dad.

"We came in later for another appointment and the staff was so incredibly kind and patient with united states of america," Wieber says. "Nosotros met with a lactation consultant who helped sort of reassure united states of america that we were doing a skilful job and that our little one was happy and good for you. And every moment throughout our pregnancy experience, I really felt that the staff was taking care of all of us. People were set to reply whatever of our questions even though they probably become asked those same questions over and once again from new parents. Merely they made us feel special, which is something nosotros truly appreciated."

More than stories

  • What to wait the beginning trimester of pregnancy
  • Helpful information on pregnancy subsequently age 35
  • What to know about eating during pregnancy

Posted In Children'south, Wellness Information, Pregnancy, Women'south

Leave A Reply